Re: a replacement for ssh packages in Jessie?

On 20150513_1117+0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:36:15PM -0400, Eike Lantzsch wrote:
> > I put more trust into the OpenBSD/OpenSSH developers. Apparent and not-so-
> > apparent bugs ought to be reported to them IMHO. That way an excellent product
> > may become even better.
>
> I'd likewise stick with openssh personally, but if one is keen to try alternatives
> there's also dropbear - https://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html

I agree with your reasoning, But I am having a problem on which I need help:

I have three computers, Big, Dl2, and Gq. Big is the computer at which I sit
when I reading this list and other user-type activities. The other two I use
servers that I can't do on Big. I use ssh to log into them to maintain their
software, and to adjust their service configuration. They are all running
Jessie, fully up to date. Earlier, only Big and Gq were running and Dl2 was
sitting idle. I installed Jessie on Dl2 after the release of Jessie. All three
have both openssh-client and openssh-server installed.

I go into this seeming unnecessary detail because the behavior ot ssh
in this environment is very strange:

Sitting at Big, logged in as user pec, I can:

connect to pec@gq without giving any password
connect to root@gq also without a password
connect to pec@dl2 also without a password
But I CANNOT connect to root@dl2. When I try I'm asked to type in password
  and when I type it in I get a response "denied, please try again"
I know the root password to Dl2 and the password for the ssh key that
I generated for /root/.ssh/id-rsa , and I carefully contrived to make it
the same as system password to that of system user 'root'.

Perhaps I am doing something really stupid. Maybe, but has anyone ever been
able to establish ssh connections without passwords merely by being stupid?

Also, ssh-copy-id doesn't seem to be working. But I've never used it before
this episode, so maybe on this I'm misreading the man page.

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net