Re: a replacement for ssh packages in Jessie?

On Tuesday 12 May 2015 09:04:36 Paul E Condon wrote:
> By accident, while struggling with a number of problems
> in my pure Jessie home LAN, I came across some Debian
> packages which I had no clue existed. They are:
>
> lsh-client
> lsh-server
> lsh-utils
>
> The short descriptions in the aptitude display describes them as a new
> implementation of the whole ssh secure inter-host communications
> system. Since some of my problems with Jessie are manifest as apparent
> bugs in open-ssh, I am very interested in the recent experience in
> using these packages. To what extent are they direct, drop-in
> replacements? Can anyone recommend a HOW-TO for actually doing a
> switch? And has anyone tried them and decided they are not yet ready,
> in spite of the fact that Jessie is now blessed with the appellation,
> Stable.
>

> TIA
> --
> Paul E Condon
> pecondon@mesanetworks.net

I'm not in a position that any trials on my part might be significant enough
for a production environment but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lsh
says it all for me to decide to stay away from it.
For my taste it has too many dependencies. Especially during updates of remote
systems a functioning SSH connection while the target system has minimal
capabilities during the process, is essential at least to me.
I put more trust into the OpenBSD/OpenSSH developers. Apparent and not-so-
apparent bugs ought to be reported to them IMHO. That way an excellent product
may become even better.

All the best
Eike

--