Re: /etc/environment not available for normal user while for root it is[was Re: sudo not respecting /etc/sudoers]

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
> Le quartidi 14 floréal, an CCXXIII, Avinash Sonawane a écrit :
>> I think I am using lightdm as display manager/login manager. (Any way
>> to find out which is?)
>
> You can probably see what display manager is running with "ps".

Yes. It is lightdm.

>> And in lightdm, lightdm-autologin and lightdm-greeter I see:
>>
>> # Load environment from /etc/environment and ~/.pam_environment
>> auth      required pam_env.so envfile=/etc/default/locale
>>
>> > If there is, check that pam_env.so is invoked.
>>
>> Apparently pam_env.so is alreadu being invoked.
>
> Not exactly. It is invoked to read /etc/default/locale, but not
> /etc/environment. The correct lines, from xdm, look like this:
>
> auth            required        pam_env.so
> auth            required        pam_env.so envfile=/etc/default/locale
>
> See there are two lines. The behaviour contradicts the comment just above:

So will it work if I add `auth            required        pam_env.so`
to lightdm, lightdm-greeter and lightdm-autologin files?

> there is not doubt this is a bug. You must file a bug report.

So I should file this against jessie, lightdm or xfce(as in GNOME
/etc/environment was getting loaded as expected)?

Also as suggested in previous thread I added these lines in .bashrc:
. /etc/environment
export http_proxy https_proxy ftp_proxy

and the workaround works!

Is there any risk in using this workaround?

--
Avinash Sonawane (RootKea)
PICT, Pune