Re: Question: Why do you dist-upgrade?

Bob Proulx wrote:
Tim Kelley wrote:
I'm a server admin for a living, for the last 25 years, I mean data centers
and lately, cloud. There a very few conditions that would make me
dist-upgrade a server, that is absolutely primitive. Servers are created
from scratch in minutes at will from an SCMS or automated install and if
not, you are wrong!
So a client comes to you as a professional admin.  Let's say they have
an aging Squeeze LTS based web server.  They want to move to Jessie
which you may have heard is recently released.  Would you re-install
their system to Jessie and ask them to reinstall their web site from
scratch?  Or would you spend twenty minutes upgrading from Squeeze 6
to Wheezy 7 and then from Wheezy 7 to Jessie 8?

I know what I would do.  I would upgrade.  (After ensuring a proper
backup.  Backups are needed regardless.)  Debian is all about being
able to upgrade.

I know what I would do with our servers:
- for our virtualization environment (Xen) - I'd reinstall from scratch
- for our VMs - I'd rebuild each one from scratch

In my experience, lots of glitches accumulate from upgrade to upgrade. Better to take the opportunity to build a clean system.

I might add that this is particularly the case with Jessie - in that systemd changes so many things that I wouldn't trust an automated process in any way, shape, manner, or form. (Of course, I'm REALLY conservative - I'm just getting ready to upgrade some systems to Wheezy. From there, I'm seriously considering a migration to BSD.)

Miles Fidelman