Re: Power completely drained in hibernate mode?

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 09:50:18AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> To hibernate, I use 'sudo pm-hibernate' (because the hibernate button
>> on my Xfce power manager tells me 'Sleep verb not supported'). I
>> thought hibernate mode was not supposed to use any power, but after 4
>> days, my laptop was powerless (it wasn't when I hibernated).
>
> It should.  Hibernate and Off should use almost the same amount of power
> (there might be a trickle of usage for monitoring the lid opening).

I Googled the 'sleep verb not supported' and found that at least one
person experienced the same problem when Chrome was open with a bunch
of open tabs, which is _always_ the case on my laptop. I closed
Chrome, and the hibernate button worked. I'll see when next I open
that laptop whether hibernate really worked this time. (Could it be
Chrome that was draining power even when the machine was hibernated?)

>> Any thoughts about how to diagnose what's going on? (It's also
>> painfully slow to get back up to speed coming out of hibernation, but
>> that's another story.)
>
> First off, see if you have any lights on on the machine while it's
> hibernated. If there is a sleep light, or if the power light "pulses",
> for example, then the machine hasn't hibernated.

No lights were on or blinking. It _looks_ to be shut down.

> Next, see if your system is configured for "hybrid sleep". Hybrid Sleep
> is like sleep, but the system is additionally saved to disk. That way,
> if the battery dies, a resume-from-hibernation can be performed. Check
> /etc/systemd/login.conf in case any of the Handle* options are set to
> hybrid-sleep.

The options in logind.conf (which I take it you meant) were all
commented out, and none defaults to hybrid sleep.

Thanks for your insights.

Patrick