Re: Power completely drained in hibernate mode?

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 09:50:18AM -0400, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> Hello:
>
> To hibernate, I use 'sudo pm-hibernate' (because the hibernate button
> on my Xfce power manager tells me 'Sleep verb not supported'). I
> thought hibernate mode was not supposed to use any power, but after 4
> days, my laptop was powerless (it wasn't when I hibernated).

It should.  Hibernate and Off should use almost the same amount of power
(there might be a trickle of usage for monitoring the lid opening).

> Any thoughts about how to diagnose what's going on? (It's also
> painfully slow to get back up to speed coming out of hibernation, but
> that's another story.)

First off, see if you have any lights on on the machine while it's
hibernated. If there is a sleep light, or if the power light "pulses",
for example, then the machine hasn't hibernated.

Next, see if your system is configured for "hybrid sleep". Hybrid Sleep
is like sleep, but the system is additionally saved to disk. That way,
if the battery dies, a resume-from-hibernation can be performed. Check
/etc/systemd/login.conf in case any of the Handle* options are set to
hybrid-sleep.