Re: Question: Why do you dist-upgrade?

On 04/29/2015 at 12:11 PM, Tim K wrote:

> For me, and I think anyone with a sensibly laid out system, it's so
> much less trouble and time to reinstall. I can only really think of
> one reason to dist-upgrade, and that's if the system is remote (and a
> very good reason it is). I'm wondering why some of you dist-upgrade
> ... do you just like it that way? A habit?

Because it's the fastest and easiest way to keep the system up-to-date
on a regular basis.

I dist-upgrade against testing about once a week or so, and it would be
just crazy to reinstall that often - especially with an install setup as
complicated as the one I have, and with all the extraneous packages (as
well as other, manually-compiled, software) I have installed.

Even for the case of tracking stable, and thus only needing to do a
major upgrade when a point release occurs or testing becomes stable,
trying to keep track of everything I'd need to reinstall and reconfigure
and so forth would just be far more trouble than it would be worth as a
default approach.

--
   The Wanderer