Re: boot-time messages, /init touch not found

On 04/23/2015 at 01:32 PM, songbird wrote:

> songbird wrote:
>
>> Mike Kupfer wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, after updating a jessie VM, I noticed a message during boot,
>>> before lightdm started.  The message was something like
>>>
>>> /init [stuff I didn't catch] touch: not found
>>>
>>> After logging in, I tried using journalctl to find the message,
>>> with no success.  Is journalctl the right tool to find the
>>> message?  If not, what is?
>>
>> Mike, i'm not running a VM and have the same message showing up.
>>
>> it is in the early boot stage so you might need some other way to
>> capture the message, there used to be a package called bootlog, but
>> i don't know how well it works with systemd.
>
> installed the package bootlogd and so output should show up in
> /var/log/boot, but that file remains empty.

I would advise you to first make sure the initramfs / initrd for that
kernel version has been updated:

update-initramfs -u -k $VERSION

where $VERSION is either the kernel version number (as listed under
/lib/modules/) or the word "all".

If that doesn't help, then I'd advise that you expand the initramfs /
initrd file from under /boot into an empty directory, and see what it
contains. It may very well be missing either bin/touch or some related
thing.

At the very least, you may be able to check the script which is trying
to run 'touch', see the exact command, and potentially be able to
troubleshoot from there. (I suspect that this script is standard and
does not change between systems, so the problem probably lies elsewhere,
but it could be a useful way to work towards identifying the problem.)

The "expand" step can be done with a command like the following. (Make
sure that you're in an _empty_ directory when you run this!. It's
probably best to create a new directory for the purpose.)

gunzip - < /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r) | cpio -i

--
   The Wanderer