Re: boot-time messages, /init touch not found

songbird wrote:

> songbird wrote:
> > Mike Kupfer wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, after updating a jessie VM, I noticed a message during boot, before
> >> lightdm started.  The message was something like
> >>
> >>   /init [stuff I didn't catch] touch: not found
> >>
> >> After logging in, I tried using journalctl to find the message, with no
> >> success.  Is journalctl the right tool to find the message?  If not,
> >> what is?
> >
> >   Mike, i'm not running a VM and have the same
> > message showing up.
> >
> >   it is in the early boot stage so you might need
> > some other way to capture the message, there used
> > to be a package called bootlog, but i don't know
> > how well it works with systemd.
>
>   installed the package bootlogd and so output should
> show up in /var/log/boot, but that file remains empty.

Darn.  Thanks for checking.

> /init: 401: /init: touch: not found...

Ah, yes, that matches exactly the message I've been seeing.  I thought
401 might be a pid, but there's no process 401 by the time I log in.

> >   doesn't seem to be affecting anything or preventing
> > my system from coming up

Same here.

I don't recall seeing the message on my host (which is also running
Jessie), but the messages on the host disappear even faster than they do
on the guest.

> > so i've ignore it until i
> > saw your note.  likely someone changed a script in
> > the early boot process that now uses the command
> > touch when it should not be assumed to exist yet...
>
>   that's as far as i've gotten.

Okay, thanks.

I suppose it's also worth noting that I see it between the 2 fsck's of
the root partition.

mike