Re: [solved] Re: Change partition numbering

David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> Quoting Rodolfo Medina (rodolfo.medina@gmail.com):
>> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
>> > Quoting Joe (joe@jretrading.com):
>> >
>> > Indeed, and also if using LABELs. That's why I wondered about the
>> > reason for making the change if it was at all risky (which it turned
>> > out not to be). The OP didn't say.
>>
>> I said, that I had to ptoperly edit fstab and, also, reisntall grub boot
>> loader to mbr, with Debian Installer rescue mode.  The system wouldn't boot
>> any more.
>
> I wondered why the non-increasing partition numbers worried you enough
> that you needed to change them round. Was that because "The system
> wouldn't boot any more" immediately after resizing whichever
> partition? Or did the system fail to boot only after you swapped the
> partition numbers over? I can't tell which.

Immediately after resizing a partition I had booting problems but solved them,
so the system could also remain in that state, with partitions 6 and 7 in
reverse order, only I didn't like it, I found it confusing, and was curious to
see how to adjust that.  The risk was little because my main system is
elsewhere, on another machine.

Thanks,

Rodolfo