Re: [solved] Re: Change partition numbering

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 22:33:49 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> Quoting Rodolfo Medina (rodolfo.medina@gmail.com):
> > David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
> > > Quoting Joe (joe@jretrading.com):
> > >
> > > Indeed, and also if using LABELs. That's why I wondered about the
> > > reason for making the change if it was at all risky (which it
> > > turned out not to be). The OP didn't say.
> >
> > I said, that I had to ptoperly edit fstab and, also, reisntall grub
> > boot loader to mbr, with Debian Installer rescue mode.  The system
> > wouldn't boot any more.
>
> I wondered why the non-increasing partition numbers worried you enough
> that you needed to change them round. Was that because "The system
> wouldn't boot any more" immediately after resizing whichever
> partition? Or did the system fail to boot only after you swapped the
> partition numbers over? I can't tell which.

In the distant past, I found some low-level software that didn't like
partitions out of order, it's a long time since I've had a drive in
that state, and I can't remember what it was. I used to use multiple
boots, and the only way (IIRC) to get an NT4.0 installation above about
8GB into the drive was a complicated method (Microsoft approved, their
instructions) involving two installations, then deleting one. It left
space which could only be used by making a new partition.

--
Joe