Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Friday 17 April 2015 04:04:52 Ric Moore wrote:
> On 04/16/2015 09:07 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 April 2015 16:28:15 Ric Moore wrote:
> >> Gene, regarding harddrive problems, check this out:
> >> http://www.sj-vs.net/forcing-a-hard-disk-to-reallocate-bad-sectors/
> >> I had one bad sector that gave everything else fits. This fixed it!
> >> Scared me to do it, but nothing blew up on reboot. Just a thought.
> >> Ric
> >
> > Today they will do that automatically, from a pool of sectors
> > reserved for that as they are made. You will not receive a notice
> > that it has happened until te drive is out of spare sectors.
>
>  From what I was reading, that doesn't always happen. I just had one
> bad sector, according to dmesg. My drive is no more than a year old.
> Yet, every once in awhile I'd hear the drive go Ugh! Ugh! Scared me. I
> followed the howto, and it runs nice and quiet. And slightly faster
> without the Ugh! Ugh! and notices being written to the logs. Just the
> one sector out of 1/2 gig.

If the drive was that fresh, it may have been better to search the makers
site for a firmware update.  I had all sorts of funkity things with
these 1T seagates, went to the seagate site and found there was a
firmware updater, downloaded it, it updated all 4 drives without losing
a single byte, and except for one that goes read-only on the first write
just recently, they all have north of 50k POH on them now.
I have not done that yet for this pair of 2T's, but since they
are "commodity drives", the need for a firmware update wouldn't surprise
me a bit.  I haven't used them enough to see if they might be having a
session of hiccups yet.

> "Modern hard disk drives are equipped with a small amount of spare
> sectors to reallocate damaged sectors. However, a sector only gets
> relocated when a write operation fails. A failing read operation will,
> in most cases, only throw an I/O error. In the unlikely event a second
> read does succeed, some disks perform a auto-reallocation and data is
> preserved. In my case, the second read failed miserably (“Unrecovered
> read error – auto reallocate failed“)."

Bad drive already if it was out of spare sectors at a year old, warranty
it.

And, install smartctl so you can keep track of the drives overall health.

> There you have it. If you run
> into such, this is the cure. Just a FYI. Ric
>
> --
> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)