Re: wheezy drive recognition?

On Thursday 16 April 2015 16:28:15 Ric Moore wrote:
> On 04/16/2015 04:01 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> > On 04/16/2015 11:19 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> ... I discovered the atom based box for <$300 which are
> >> great for a one stop solution for the machinery controls.  So this
> >> phenom box was my last real build, 8 years (nominally) ago.
> >
> > Please tell us about your Atom box(es).  (I've been eyeballing the
> > D2500CC for IPCop.)
> >

> > What machinery?
>
> Gene has a special install for his CNC setup, with a RTAI kernel. To
> me, ole Gene needs one machine dedicated to that and offload desktop
> stuff to another standard install.

Actually Ric, ole Gene has two machines dedicated to running the
machinery and this is the one size fits all box.  But I have to keep it
close enough kernelwise that it can run the LCNC simulator version in
userspace.  So I can sit here in air conditioned comfort, write G-Code
to do a job, and exersize that code on this machine, cutting electronic
air.  When I am happy it works, then load it on the real machinery and
make $400 worth of Mahogany and other considerably pricier stuff for
trim, into a blanket chest that I sent a pix of to my youngest, who took
a printout to work, and his co-workers all pronounced it to be "Wood
Porn"  ;-)  I can't help it if they are buying their furniture from
IKEA.

> Gene, regarding harddrive problems, check this out:
> http://www.sj-vs.net/forcing-a-hard-disk-to-reallocate-bad-sectors/
> I had one bad sector that gave everything else fits. This fixed it!
> Scared me to do it, but nothing blew up on reboot. Just a thought. Ric

Today they will do that automatically, from a pool of sectors reserved
for that as they are made. You will not receive a notice that it has
happened until te drive is out of spare sectors.

I did have a file that reserved all the bad sectors on an original ST-238
on one of my coco's 25 years ago. I figured that when I got to the 40th,
I had only 8 slots left in the file descriptor and bought a maxtor 7120s
& a scsi interface.  End of that "problem". :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)