Re: debian 8

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015, at 13:29, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2015 08:07:40 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Sometimes it will also be necessary to remove the backup (RTC/CMOS)
> > battery.  In that case you will likely have to leave the box unpowered
> > (do not reconnect any of the batteries or power) for several hours
> > (try at least 12 hours) AFTER you did the power-button dance above, to
> > actually reset everything.
>
> What has become of the triplet of header pins on the motherboard that
> used to do that. Simply move the flea clip to the other end pair and

Never seen that on a laptop, really. I'd return for my money back any server or desktop motherboard that did not have a CMOS clear or service/maintenance mode jumper, though.  The extremely handy FLASH write-disable jumper is harder to come by, though.

In a laptop, you also have persistent state in the embedded controller/EC (which can crash due to a bug, and often you can only recover from a crashed EC through the braindead procedure because the EC is the party responsible for cutting power to the mainboard :-p).  Just clearing CMOS won't fix it, you also need to "clear and reset the EC", which can be really easy on some laptops, but thruly annoying to do in others.

The "12 hours without any battery or power whatsoever, not even the backup CMOS battery" procedure is to take care of the annoying laptops that make it hard to power down the EC (which includes all Lenovo thinkpads), not just to drain the CMOS persistent RAM enough for it to fail the checksum test.

> And I will submit that if that is now the case, its a total B.S. excuse,
> likely forced on the board makers by you know who, who is a convicted
> monopolist and will do anything to survive in a world they might have
> helped create but have now been superceeded by a generally superior
> product that also happens to be essentially free.

Actually, IME usually you should not blame firmware code quality on anyone but the hardware vendors themselves. Ask anyone that works writing operating system kernels, be it Redmonders, Linuxers, or BSDers.

  Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org>