Re: debian 8

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 01:26:35 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/04/2015, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri 03 Apr 2015 at 17:41:44 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> >
> >> What are the expected differences between Debian 7 and Debian 8?
> >>
> >> Will Debian 8, when released, provide the "GNOME Classic"
> >> interface?
> >
> > Would gnome-session-flashback suit you?
> >

> I have no idea.
>
> In searching for it, the web pages at
>  https://packages.debian.org/es/jessie/gnome-session-flashback
> and
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomePanel
> do not include screenshots, so I do not know of its appearance or
> implied functionality.
>
> In Debian 6, with its GNOME 2 interface, I have, at the bottom of the
> screen, a taskbar below the panel, with the three menu types
> (Applications, Places,System) at the left end of the panel, and the
> system monitor applet to the left of the date and time at the right
> end of the panel.
>
> I want to be able to reproduce that in Debian 7 and, Debian 8, if they
> have the functionality.

I would also warmly recommend Xfce[1], which I've been using for a long
time. It's much lighter on resources, is quite customizable, and
provides all the panels and applets you could ever wish for. MATE and
even Cinnamon might also be good choices for you, I believe both are to
some extent based on Gnome 2. Personally, I have never looked at MATE,
but I used Cinnamon for a short time a while back, and thought it was
quite nice.

Petter

[1] http://xfce.org/

--