Re: Book questions

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 08:32:38 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 02:15:12PM +0200, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > For a long time I've been meaning to learn more about regular
> > expressions, and I found the following books: "Mastering Regular
> > Expressions" and "Sed & awk", both from O'Reilly. Does anyone have
> > any experience with these, and an opinion as to which I should
> > start with?
>
> If you read through "sed & awk" you will get a decent
> introduction, and "Mastering" is a good follow-up.

OK, thanks, then I should be covered.

> 'man perlre' (perl regular expressions) is a good reference in
> most cases; more so if you're actually using perl, of course.

It's been a long time since I used perl regularly, but it might come in
handy as an online reference. Are perl regular expressions "compatible"
with the ones used by grep/sed/awk, etc? I think I remember reading
that there are differences between them?

> > I also found the K&R book, "The UNIX Programming Environment" by
> > Kernighan and Pike, and "UNIX Systems Programming for SVR4" from
> > O'Reilly. Since I want to learn C I know I need to read the first of
> > these, but I was wondering how the other two are, if anyone here has
> > read them.
>
> They aren't exactly up to date, but they contain much which is
> still relevant. System V release 4 was one of the models for
> Linux.

Yes, the basics are what I'm interested in here. Once I get a good grip
on those I can look into more modern and Linux-specific topics. I'm
most interested in learning how to write portable code anyways, so
these should be a good start.

> "Learning Perl" and "The Perl Cookbook" are good for Perl; you
> might want "UNIX System Administration", but you'll definitely
> want "The Debian Administrator's Handbook" at
> http://debian-handbook.info

I actually also found "Learning Perl", and I think I have the Cookbook
if I dig a little deeper, but I've more or less settled on learning C,
as I think that would be more worthwhile.

Downloaded the Debian book, though, I'll have to look through it and
print out some of the chapters.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Petter

--