Re: LVM and mdadm

Petter Adsen wrote:
> /dev/md0 is a 1G mirror for /boot, no LVM there. /dev/md1 is a mirror,
> than consists of the major part of /dev/sda and /dev/sdb - both 250G.
> There are also 4G swap partitions on sda and sdb, no RAID there.

This isn't a complaint but just comment.  I gave myself a lot of free
space so that I could be slack about removing previous kernels.  I
have a lot of kernels installed.  I should prune.

  $ ls /boot/vmlinuz-* | wc -l
  14

But I still have a lot of space.

  /dev/md0        456M  261M  172M  61% /boot

That 1G of /boot is going to be a lot of space for you.  Of course
drives are so large these days that another 512M is absolutely nothing
in the grand scheme of things.  You are just going to have a lot of
space there and will never have a concern over filling up that
partition.  :-)

> The installation went smoothly, and I think I got everything right.
> However, when I run "pvdisplay -v", it says:
>     DEGRADED MODE. Incomplete RAID LVs will be processed.
>     Scanning for physical volume names

And I see the discussion and answer from Reco on this.  I had not
ever used -v and had never seen that message.  I would have wondered
if I had.  Now I can file the information away as a bug.

There are two other bugs that routinely annoy me.  One is that in
Jessie they added more columns to the output.  Fine.  But then they
print all of the spaces between even when the columns are empty.

  https://bugs.debian.org/761676

The other is that lvm complains about things it should not complain
about.  Specifically open file descriptors.  I often see this
abnoxious message from lvm depending upon the environment and scripts
from which I invoke it.

  File descriptor 3 (/dev/tty) leaked on lvs invocation. Parent PID 12261: /bin/bash

  https://bugs.debian.org/639773

Both are minor nuisances and do not affect any functionality.

Bob