Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Fri 03 Apr 2015 at 20:29:04 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 03 April 2015 18:38:06 Brian wrote:
> >
> > Your turn now for some gauntlet picking up and a keystroke by
> > keystroke account. :)
> >
> > There is no significant space available on the disk to install to. The
> > only way to get an OS on it is to use the existing partition(s).
>
> Scuse me?

Certainly.

> Every other partitioning tool on the planet, from fdisk on is capable of
> creating a blank partition table in memory, letting you add new
> partitions to it etc etc. And when you are done, they will blindly write
> this newly composed table to the disk, no questions asked.
>
> And yet you _all_ are telling me this tool is incapable of doing that?

I said nothing of the sort. All my responses have been in the context of
using d-i. That goes for others too.

> What is the difference between deleting all existing partitions and
> creating new ones in the now blank table? and just making a new table
> and writing it. There should be no difference because in each case it is
> overwriting what was originally there. FWIW I did try that once, with
> exactly the same results.

None, I think. But it didn't work for you; where you placed the blame
then I've forgotten.

> I rest my case.
>
> In any event were are doing nothing but argueing until the drives that
> will give me some toys to play with get here late next week.

I'll have lost the will to live by then. Reciprocation rather than a
film show would have speeded things up. :)