Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Saturday 04 April 2015 12:05:55 Brian wrote:
> On Fri 03 Apr 2015 at 20:29:04 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 03 April 2015 18:38:06 Brian wrote:
> > > Your turn now for some gauntlet picking up and a keystroke by
> > > keystroke account. :)
> > >
> > > There is no significant space available on the disk to install to.
> > > The only way to get an OS on it is to use the existing
> > > partition(s).
> >
> > Scuse me?
>
> Certainly.
>
> > Every other partitioning tool on the planet, from fdisk on is
> > capable of creating a blank partition table in memory, letting you
> > add new partitions to it etc etc. And when you are done, they will
> > blindly write this newly composed table to the disk, no questions
> > asked.
> >
> > And yet you _all_ are telling me this tool is incapable of doing
> > that?
>
> I said nothing of the sort. All my responses have been in the context
> of using d-i. That goes for others too.

d-i? expand please.

> > What is the difference between deleting all existing partitions and
> > creating new ones in the now blank table? and just making a new
> > table and writing it. There should be no difference because in each
> > case it is overwriting what was originally there. FWIW I did try
> > that once, with exactly the same results.
>
> None, I think. But it didn't work for you; where you placed the blame
> then I've forgotten.
>
> > I rest my case.
> >
> > In any event were are doing nothing but argueing until the drives
> > that will give me some toys to play with get here late next week.
>
> I'll have lost the will to live by then.

Aww, Gee.  I hate it when that happens. :(

> Reciprocation rather than a
> film show would have speeded things up. :)

I repeat, I did not keep a paper trail, and if I try to recall what I
did, by the time I got done I was so frustrated I'd remember it wrong
anyway. So there is no use broadcasting a sequence missing half the
steps I did, it wastes time for all.

Until the new pair of drives arrive (shipped UPS Friday), I haven't a
drive to play with, and obviously I am not going to blow away this
install to get that requested trace since its taken me this long to get
it working as well as it is.

The film show seems to be the only way I can present what I've done in a
manner that should not generate a 6 week long thread arguing about what
I did or did not do to cause my own headache if indeed it is my mistake.

I will let the images speak for me since no one believes me.  This drive
will be safely laying on the table, to be inserted for recovery after
the next install is tried.  And I am tempted to do one wheezy install as
a test, and then, running this one, wait for the final Jessie on April
25th, if its on time.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)