Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Friday 03 April 2015 16:37:51 Brian wrote:
> On Fri 03 Apr 2015 at 15:37:07 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 03 April 2015 14:50:04 Brian wrote:
> > > Either there is FREE SPACE or there isn't. If there is none you
> > > cannot install anything to that disk. What did you get? You didn't
> > > say, so now we are left wondering how you dealt with that
> > > situation.

Since when did disks become one time use devices?  None that I have are.
If its already full, you just tell the partitioner to use it all, problem
solved.

> > > If it were me and there was no free space, I would delete that
> > > partition and go from there.
> >
> > Isn't use whole disk the equ?

> I do not understand 'equ'

Sorry Brian, that is generally shorthand for "equivalent", aka the same
thing.  IOW nothing precious on this disk, over write whats already
there.

> You didn't answer the "What did you get?" question in my previous
> mail quoted above.
>
> On the 'Partition disks' page there is a list of the disks on your
> system. SCSI1 etc. What does it say for 'FREE SPACE' in the fourth
> column for the disk you are installing to?

Usually less than 4 megabytes of free space left at the end of the disk
with a used 4k per sector disk on the cable, but could be zero for a 512
byte per sector used disk since there is not normally an alignment
problem with the old 512 byte per sector formatting.  I have 1Tb disks
that look alike at first glance.  The 512 byte per sector pair is
heavier and a wee bit thicker because it likely has two platters in it,
while the 4k version pair is a bit lighter and thinner, I presume
because there is only one platter in those two disks.

The commodity drives I have coming will be, at 2Tb, 4096 bytes per
sector, and linux must align its writes with a Read-Modify-Write cycle
updating the whole 4k just to change one byte if things don't start on a
sector boundary.  There's a pretty good speed penalty for doing that. A
disk that can write at 120+ megs a second when aligned can be turned
into a 20 megs a second slowpoke. if miss-aligned.

Ain't technology wonderful when it advances faster than ones legs can
walk?  Before you know it, it will be Sir Arther C. Clarks definition of
magic. ;-)

Thanks Brian.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)