Re: Debian 7 and Debian 8 and bootloader

On 04/04/2015, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Andrew M.A. Cater (amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk):
>> On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 01:51:15AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> > Do Debian 7 and Debian 8 (when it is to be released), and a bootloader
>> > such as GRUB, allow yet, for more than one version of Debian, to be
>> > installed on a system, and, to be selectable options for the
>> > bootloader?
>>
>> Should do: it would probably be a good idea to install Debian 7 first on
>> the first half of the disk, using the expert install, and then to install
>> Debian 8 separately on the second half of the disk.
>>
>> I'd be happy to attempt to do this to check for you, if requested.
>
> No need to check; yes, this is routine. But I would refine that
> suggestion slightly. On my own disks I create four primary partitions,
> for two versions of Debian (each in between 20 and 32GB), a swap and
> the rest as /home. (Many other people are now using logical volume
> managers and suchlike.)
>
> Typically I will have a stable and a testing, partly for new features
> of important (to me) software (like lilypond), but also so that I can
> learn about the new features while early adopters are interested in/
> discussing them.
>
> Grub also manages the (almost unused) windows disks that a couple of
> my computers contain.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

It would be on a UEFI/GPT system, so the primary partitions are redundant.

With Linux, I generally have a / partition, a /swap partition, a /home
partition, and data partitions, with the swap partition being shared
between the Linux installations; as they are not running concurrently,
I do not see a problem with the /swap partition being shared between
them.

On a UEFI system that does not allow the Dual system, and, does not
allow for the Secure Boot option to be turned off within UEFI, I have
to choose either UEFI or Legacy, and the Win 8 is booted via UEFI, and
the Linux systems are booted via the Legacy option.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."