Re: Debian 7 and Debian 8 and bootloader

Quoting Andrew M.A. Cater (amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk):
> On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 01:51:15AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> > Do Debian 7 and Debian 8 (when it is to be released), and a bootloader
> > such as GRUB, allow yet, for more than one version of Debian, to be
> > installed on a system, and, to be selectable options for the
> > bootloader?
>
> Should do: it would probably be a good idea to install Debian 7 first on
> the first half of the disk, using the expert install, and then to install
> Debian 8 separately on the second half of the disk.
>
> I'd be happy to attempt to do this to check for you, if requested.

No need to check; yes, this is routine. But I would refine that
suggestion slightly. On my own disks I create four primary partitions,
for two versions of Debian (each in between 20 and 32GB), a swap and
the rest as /home. (Many other people are now using logical volume
managers and suchlike.)

Typically I will have a stable and a testing, partly for new features
of important (to me) software (like lilypond), but also so that I can
learn about the new features while early adopters are interested in/
discussing them.

Grub also manages the (almost unused) windows disks that a couple of
my computers contain.

Cheers,
David.