Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Friday 03 April 2015 09:29:15 Reco wrote:
>  Hi.

> > > More-or-less yes. You forgot to mention emptying old home, but all
> > > needed stuff is there.

> Sure, you can. According to mke2fs(8) you should limit label length to
> 16 bytes, but that's plenty IMO.
>
> > > That's one way of doing this. You can also use UUID, plain-old
> > > device names (/dev/sdb1, or something), or /dev/disk/by-id if you
> > > want to be on the safe side.
> >
> > Device names are out on this machine as 3 of its drives are in a hot
> > swap cage.  The device name stays with the slot.  So its best I just
> > search the rack for the LABEL= when mounting stuff.
> >
> > But you mentioned cleaning out /home when mounting another partition
> > over it, but I'd need a tutorial on how to do that since the .home
> > dir, once the 2nd drive is mounted oin top of it, isn't accessible.
>
> Lisi put it right. Don't mount a new home on top of an old one. Mount
> a filesystem for the new home elsewhere, move all files from old home
> to the new one, unmount new home, add a line into fstab, and mount new
> home.

That is essentially what I had in mind.  But it seems to me I should be
booted in single mode and fetchmail never started in order to have
a "stable" /home to do the moveing from.  And don't forget, that when
the cp is done, to look at it with an ls -l to make sure I still own my
stuff.  That burnt me once yonks ago when I thought I was all done,
rebooted and found root:root owned everything. As Jackie Gleason was
fond of saying, what a revolting development that was. :(

> Use LiveCD in the case of doubt.

Scenario #2. :)

> > FWIW, I've
> > large boatload of stuff in /opt that I'd like to treat the same way.
> > Same problem with /opt.  But I figure I'd do that too as it sure
> > would save days of copying stuff when upodateing an install.
>
> The way I see it - if you manage to move /home then you'll learn how
> to move /opt. The principle is the same.
>
> Reco

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)