Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Thursday 02 April 2015 05:33:40 Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 05:16:37AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > wordwrap off so as not to rip up long lines.
> >

> > Fun & games but not S&G. Network-Manager had the last word when I
> > excised that piece of insanity, the SOB zeroed out the eth0 settings
> > in /etc/network/interfaces.  Bad dog, no biscuit from me.
> >
> > All discovered and I think fixed as I appear to have restored
> > networking now.
> >
> > All triggered by discovering that the reason I was into swap all the
> > time was that for the last 12 days I had been running a 32 bit rtai
> > kernel which is NOT PAE, seems I need to edit the default number in
> > /boot/grub/grub.cnf, it is not pointing at a 64 bit 3.2.0-4amd64
> > vmlinuz.  That discovery in turn triggered by firefox spitting out a
> > tummy ache on start attempts.
> >
> > I renamed the firefox script in /usr/bin/ which was actually running
> > iceweasel to /usr/bin/firefux, then made a symlink from
> >
> > /home/gene/bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox from /usr/bin/firefox.
> >
> > So, rebooted to a true 64 bit kernel, but 64 bit firefox refuses to
> > run: gene@coyote:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/firefox
> > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Apr  2 04:03 /usr/bin/firefox ->
> > /home/gene/bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox Which is correct.  But
> > First try it like the renamed script does it:
> > gene@coyote:~$ firefox "$@"
> > bash: /usr/bin/firefox: No such file or directory
> > Then try w/o the argument.
> > gene@coyote:~$ firefox
> > bash: /usr/bin/firefox: No such file or directory
> >
> > Its 5am, and I don't seem to have even one eye open
> > simultaineously...
> >
> > The firefox binary itself
> > gene@coyote:~$ ls -l bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox
> > -rwxr-xr-x 1 gene gene 147776 Mar 26 23:51
> > bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox
>
> Often, in this situation, it's not the file you're thinking of which
> doesn't exist. When executing a binary file, the kernel will return
> the same error (ENOENT) for all files necessary to start the binary.
> In other words, you can't immediately tell if it's the binary which
> doesn't exist, or the libraries it's linked to.
>
> So, as you know the binary exists, run "ldd /usr/bin/firefox" to see
> which libraries it's linked against and see if they all exist.

gene@coyote:~/bin/firefox-37/firefox$ sudo ldd /usr/bin/firefox
[sudo] password for gene:
	not a dynamic executable

'scuse me?  That the hell did I download?

Now I am ready to nuke this.  I got it from the get firefox link which
took me to the mozilla pages.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)