Re: firefox-37, where to put

wordwrap off so as not to rip up long lines.

On Thursday 02 April 2015 02:35:00 Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 22:54:02 -0400
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > Iceweasel commited suicide when I was asked by my bank to delete its
> > history, so now all I get is a blank terminal screen that is using
> > 100% of a cpu core until I kill it as root.  A total purge and
> > reinstall didn't fix it.
> >
> > Chromium seems incapable of performing an online credit card
> > transaction. And crashes anytime I go to abcnews.go.com
> >
> > So I just dl'd firefox-37 tarball for 64 bit linux and unpacked it
> > into my home dirs bin subdir.  But thats likely not going to be
> > great as it probably looks someplace else for its libraries & such.
> >
> > So where is the std place it would normally live?  If it can still
> > find the old iceweasel password cache, that would be a huge plus.
>
> Just unpack it wherever you want it - /opt/firefox for example, and
> put a symlink to the binary somewhere in your $PATH. It uses the
> configuration and everything it can find in your home dir, so that
> shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Petter

Fun & games but not S&G. Network-Manager had the last word when I
excised that piece of insanity, the SOB zeroed out the eth0 settings
in /etc/network/interfaces.  Bad dog, no biscuit from me.

All discovered and I think fixed as I appear to have restored networking
now.

All triggered by discovering that the reason I was into swap all the
time was that for the last 12 days I had been running a 32 bit rtai
kernel which is NOT PAE, seems I need to edit the default number in
/boot/grub/grub.cnf, it is not pointing at a 64 bit 3.2.0-4amd64
vmlinuz.  That discovery in turn triggered by firefox spitting out a
tummy ache on start attempts.

I renamed the firefox script in /usr/bin/ which was actually running
iceweasel to /usr/bin/firefux, then made a symlink from

/home/gene/bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox from /usr/bin/firefox.

So, rebooted to a true 64 bit kernel, but 64 bit firefox refuses to run:
gene@coyote:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/firefox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Apr  2 04:03 /usr/bin/firefox -> /home/gene/bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox
Which is correct.  But
First try it like the renamed script does it:
gene@coyote:~$ firefox "$@"
bash: /usr/bin/firefox: No such file or directory
Then try w/o the argument.
gene@coyote:~$ firefox
bash: /usr/bin/firefox: No such file or directory

Its 5am, and I don't seem to have even one eye open simultaineously...

The firefox binary itself
gene@coyote:~$ ls -l bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 gene gene 147776 Mar 26 23:51 bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox

Its there and executable.  I can't even run it from there with
sh ./firefox
or sh ./firefox-bin either of which gets this error:
gene@coyote:~/bin/firefox-37/firefox$ sh ./firefox
./firefox: 2: ./firefox: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

I could use a clue, which will probably make me slap my forhead & yell Duh.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)