Re: firefox-37, where to put

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 05:16:37 -0400
Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> wordwrap off so as not to rip up long lines.
>
> On Thursday 02 April 2015 02:35:00 Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 22:54:02 -0400
> >
> > Gene Heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > Greetings all;
> > >
> > > Iceweasel commited suicide when I was asked by my bank to delete
> > > its history, so now all I get is a blank terminal screen that is
> > > using 100% of a cpu core until I kill it as root.  A total purge
> > > and reinstall didn't fix it.
> > >
> > > Chromium seems incapable of performing an online credit card
> > > transaction. And crashes anytime I go to abcnews.go.com
> > >
> > > So I just dl'd firefox-37 tarball for 64 bit linux and unpacked it
> > > into my home dirs bin subdir.  But thats likely not going to be
> > > great as it probably looks someplace else for its libraries &
> > > such.
> > >
> > > So where is the std place it would normally live?  If it can still
> > > find the old iceweasel password cache, that would be a huge plus.
> >
> > Just unpack it wherever you want it - /opt/firefox for example, and
> > put a symlink to the binary somewhere in your $PATH. It uses the
> > configuration and everything it can find in your home dir, so that
> > shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> > Petter
>
> Fun & games but not S&G. Network-Manager had the last word when I
> excised that piece of insanity, the SOB zeroed out the eth0 settings
> in /etc/network/interfaces.  Bad dog, no biscuit from me.
>
> All discovered and I think fixed as I appear to have restored
> networking now.
>
> All triggered by discovering that the reason I was into swap all the
> time was that for the last 12 days I had been running a 32 bit rtai
> kernel which is NOT PAE, seems I need to edit the default number in
> /boot/grub/grub.cnf, it is not pointing at a 64 bit 3.2.0-4amd64
> vmlinuz.  That discovery in turn triggered by firefox spitting out a
> tummy ache on start attempts.
>
> I renamed the firefox script in /usr/bin/ which was actually running
> iceweasel to /usr/bin/firefux, then made a symlink from
>
> /home/gene/bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox from /usr/bin/firefox.
>
> So, rebooted to a true 64 bit kernel, but 64 bit firefox refuses to
> run: gene@coyote:~$ ls -l /usr/bin/firefox
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Apr  2 04:03 /usr/bin/firefox
> -> /home/gene/bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox Which is correct.  But
> First try it like the renamed script does it:
> gene@coyote:~$ firefox "$@"
> bash: /usr/bin/firefox: No such file or directory
> Then try w/o the argument.
> gene@coyote:~$ firefox
> bash: /usr/bin/firefox: No such file or directory

There is something wrong with your link, it links to a file it can't
find. If you run:

petter@monster:~$ ln -s foo bar
petter@monster:~$ ./bar
bash: ./bar: No such file or directory

(provided there is no file called "foo") you see you get the same
error. What does "ls -l /usr/bin/firefox" show you?

> Its 5am, and I don't seem to have even one eye open simultaineously...

Therefore you've probably mistyped your symlink, I would guess :)

> The firefox binary itself
> gene@coyote:~$ ls -l bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 gene gene 147776 Mar 26 23:51
> bin/firefox-37/firefox/firefox
>
> Its there and executable.  I can't even run it from there with
> sh ./firefox
> or sh ./firefox-bin either of which gets this error:
> gene@coyote:~/bin/firefox-37/firefox$ sh ./firefox
> ./firefox: 2: ./firefox: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Try "file firefox" - it will show you that it's not a script, it's a
binary. If you run it with just "./firefox" it should work.

> I could use a clue, which will probably make me slap my forhead &
> yell Duh.

Try some of the above, and report back what "file" and "ls -l" on the
symlink shows you if it doesn't work.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"