Re: Upgrade for wheezy to jessie hangs

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 05:23:46PM +0200, Laurens Blankers wrote:
> Hello fellow Debian users,
>
> I have been testing upgrading to Jessie given that release is coming
> closer. I ran into a problem while upgrading which actually causes the
> upgrade to hang and the system to get into a non-bootable state. I
> actually managed to track down the problem to an interaction between
> memtest86+, grub, and LVM snapshots, and I filed a bug about it:

> Unfortunately it has been almost 2 months now without hearing anything
> from the maintainer. Naturally I am a bit disappointed and a bit worried
> because memtest86+ is installed by default so potentially a lot of
> people could run into this problem.
>
> My question: can I do something to make the issue more noticeable?
> Should I improve the description of the issue? Do you think it actually
> is release critical? If so, is there a way to make it more noticeable to
> the maintainer or release team?

I think narrowing down the cause of the bug might help the maintainer.

The line "Found Debian GNU/Linux (7.8) on /dev/mapper/vg-root_snapshot"
is generated by the "os-prober" package which, when grub2 regenerates
its config, searches all block devices for additional installed
operating systems. This includes block devices which aren't mounted
(because you probably want to be able to boot to Windows even if you
don't access its files from Linux, for example).

memtest86+ is running update-grub as part of its postinst in order to
add an entry for itself into the grub menu (I can't remember if you can
run memtest86+ from within Linux, but if so, it certainly won't have
access to all the memory. The normal way is to boot into it).

Now, interestingly, the last of your error messages is "done", which
suggests to me that os-prober is finished.

If you run the install to the point at which it hangs, kill the postinst
and then run "update-grub" yourself, does THAT complete?

It's possible that the "grub-probe: error: unknown filesystem" is the
cause of the hang. Perhaps update-grub is failing and the postinst of
memtest86+ isn't handling that error properly.