Scanning bug in Jessie

Ive used my old Hp ScanJet 5300 with Simple Scan without problems for years and it was working fine on Jessie but a recent update seems to have broken something and several updates later its still not working.

It switches the lamp on and waits for it to warm up but then at the point where scanning would normally start it says Unable to start scan.

I can still run it using Wheezy so theres nothing wrong with the scanner. Is anyone else having similair issues or should I file a bug report?

Andrew