encfs quit wrking after full upgrade (jessie)

Following a fairly recent `full-upgrade', I'm no longer able to mount
and enfs directory I've had for a good while.

I installed it on jessie using wheezy on my sources.list.

That worked for some months... but my most recent `full-upgrade' has
done something that causes it to fail now.

Error from attempted encfs mount:
   EncFS Password:
   fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
   fuse failed.  Common problems:
    - fuse kernel module not installed (modprobe fuse)
    - invalid options -- see usage message

Error when attempting to modprobe fuse.
  modprobe fuse
  modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fuse': Invalid argument

Somehting happened to the kernel during that upgrade but I'm not sure
what.

uname -a:
  Linux dv 3.16.0-4-586 #1 Debian 3.16.7-ckt2-1 (2014-12-08) i686
  GNU/Linux

Shouldn't the `chk' part match the kernel version?

Is that likely to be the problem?