Re: Debian wheezy on Dell 7535

On 3/24/15, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the avoidance of doubt, pavucontrol (PulseAudioVolUme control) will not
>
> work if PulseAudio is not installed.
>
> (Referring back to a recent thread.)
>
> With ALSA you want alsamixer or alsamixergui.

Perhaps I was not precise enough in saying....

* it works! *

* in my case! *

* my experience is just an example! *

I believe the following is *the* precise comment that changed my
current sound manipulation habits AND *slightly* furthered my
understanding of the whole thing's interoperability.

Ric said, "In a nut shell, alsa is the basement for sound. Pulse sits
on top and directs input/output to multiple sound decices (sic)."

To which from THIS side of the screen that day I then snidely snarked,
"Oh, REALLLLLY?!*

With so much still to learn, I didn't think I had ALSA installed.
Turned out what he did know'd was..... I did so, too, have ALSA
installed on my system else pavucontrol would (apparently) not have
worked.

Found out fairly easily back then that ALSA was, yes, in my system,
but I sure struggled to duplicate the same effort today. It's there.
Best as I can tell, ALSA's functionality was initially installed at
least in part as packages libasound2-data and libasound2. Xfce4 gets
the k/t for that default action occurring as part of its own install
(this past week again).

As for pavucontrol dependencies, that's just the nature of the beast
that is many packages we install. Thankfully our systems are
"intelligent" enough these days to alert us to dependency needs during
installs. We can then make a final, educated executive decision yes or
no regarding installs based on the additional package dependency
feedback our package managers provide during installations.

Just for kicks before sending this off, I checked
/var/log/apt/term.log. My latest *fresh* pavucontrol install (~three
days ago) drug these in:

libspeexdsp1
libasound2-plugins
libfftw3-single3
libgtkmm-3.0-1
libpulse-mainloop-glib0
libpulsedsp
libwebrtc-audio-processing-0
pavucontrol
pulseaudio-utils
pulseaudio
pulseaudio-module-x11
rtkit

Again... *it works!*

Turns out * with ALSA as a base! * (according to Ric who accordingly
turned out to be <s>right</s> correct that pavucontrol wasn't going to
work without ALSA as a base <tm?!>)

When this successful avenue of gaining sound presented itself a few
months ago, I'd been fighting for WEEKS trying to have ANY sound while
going the whole suggested ALSA only route. Ric's PulseAudio Volume
Control comment was the one that INSTANTLY solved my private issue
when ALSA controls had been failing repeatedly and miserably until his
comment appeared.....

That's why it was a no-brainer it would be *safe* to pose pavucontrol
as a potential alternative *_CHOICE_* for any conversation that
includes the words "- No Sound". :)

Cindy ;)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape(d sewing machine) *