Fwd: Re: Can't get sound to work

I hit the wrong send to: button.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Can't get sound to work
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:29:50 -0500
From: Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>
To: Robert Latest <boblatest@gmail.com>

On 01/16/2015 01:24 PM, Robert Latest wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 19:43:23 -0500
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

I happen to love
using pulse, although years ago I was spitting mad at it. Works a
charm for me now, especially when using different sound
inputs/outputs on the fly. Ric

I'm not that picky. All I want is hear sound from mplayer or webpages
with video content.

In a nut shell, alsa is the basement for sound. Pulse sits on top and
directs input/output to multiple sound decices. It seems you have
several. I've got a sound card plugged in, so I disabled the onboard
sound card, that won't work at all, in the bios. Now alsa has one less
headache to deal with. Then install pauvucontrol. That is the graphical
interface to pulse. Running that I can define my outputs, like USB
headphonne + mono-mike, 6.1 sound card. Now I can select playback and
direct the sound between my suround speakers and stereo headphones, ON
THE FLY!!

Again, if alsa is not happy, pulse will not work at all either. If you
have a sound card in your junk box, install that to the motherboard and
disable the onboard intel setup in the bios. My onboard audio refused to
work, and that fixed it nicely. Or, just get a cheap usb audio device,
with all the bells and whistles, like 7.1 sound. I love blasting the
neighborhood with my setup. When I need quiet, I just use pavucontrol to
direct the output to the usb headphones. That beats the dickens out of
messing with ancient alsa scripts and edits.

"Works For Me!<tm>" Ric

Linux user# 44256

Linux user# 44256