Re: Installing Jessie on a computer that current has Windows 7 on it - Progress! & Questions?

On 20150312_2255-0500, David Wright wrote:
> Quoting Paul E Condon (pecondon@mesanetworks.net):
>
> > I realized that I had not tried dd from VC2 just before entering the

... snip ...

> > 2) A problem that I really want to fix: The window in which Iceweasel
> >    is displayed does not have toolbar across top of the window. ( line
> >    containing "File Edit View History ...) There might be some
> >    key stoke combination the serves as a substitute, but I have trouble
> >    remembering such things. Where is this configured in Xfce? NOT in
> >    Settings->"Window_Manager" or "Settings->Window_Manager_Tweeks". I've
> >    looked there.
>
> Press Left-Alt and the menu bar will appear. You can also press, say,

It seems we are using different versions of iceweasel, or different
versions of Jessie. On my computer pressing Left-Alt *alone* does
nothing. In this respect (on my machine) it acts similarly to the
Shift keys, in that it modifies the action of the following key press
while the Alt key is being held down. Unlike the Shift key, there
seems not to be an Alt-Lock, paralleling the Shift-Lock.

> Left-Alt-B and get the bookmarks, if you know the appropriate letters,
> F, E, V, S, B etc.

For me, the whole point of a GUI is that it allows the interface
designer to sprinkle about the screen various visual cues and hot
spots that allow the user to instruct the computer without having to a
set of appropriate keys. Oh well, live and learn.

But I did discover a way to get the toolbar that works for my
computer: On the far right end of the line that contains the text box
for entering the URL, there is and icon containing three short think
horizontal lines.  If I click on that, it opens a configuration
menu. If I click on the last item in that menu, it opens another menu
in the lower LEFT corner of the iceweasel window. In this lower left
menu, there are some check boxes.  Checking a box appears not to do
anything, but after you exit from the menu on the RIGHT side, the
Toolbar and/or Menu bar is/are displayed.

The trouble with this as a definitive solution is that I am pretty
sure that the icon with three horizontal bars in it is a configurable
item. I wouldn't know what to do if my iceweasel were configured to
leave out that icon.

Sorry for the cranky tone. I get cranky when I'm not in control of my
computer.
Best regards,
--
Paul E Condon