Re: Debian 7 and UEFI/GPT

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 03:00:56PM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> Okay.
>
> In thinking about this further, I remembered that, due to the
> malicious nature of MS Win8, it is installed with the nasty
> UEFI->Secure Boot mode, which maliciously disables the installation of
> any additional operating systems.
>
> And, I remember that the only way to amend that, to enable additional
> operating systems to be installed, is to bypass the Secure Boot mode.

Aha, _different_ problem :)

Most (but not all) machines will have an option to do this in "Bios" / "system setup"
level.

I've been working with a couple of HPs where there are security settings independent
of "pure boot".

One says "Enable secure boot, disable legacy boot", one says "Disable secure boot"

The critical thing is that disabling secure boot still allows you to boot using UEFI.

On the HP, Windows is preinstalled - toggling the switch requires you to press F10,
at boot, agree to make the change, make the change then type in a four digit number
to confirm the change. After that, Windows will boot normally but without secure boot.

You want to sort it out thereafter for dual boot reliably and you probably need Windows
media. As outlined off list, that is available from Micrososft.

On re-install, I'd install Windows first on half the disk using UEFI only, then install
Debian.

It should work. The Thinkpad I have in front of me booted Debian 7 using UEFI and now
boots Debian 8 using UEFI reliably (but with no Secure Boot because Debian doesn't yet
support a method - we haven't agreed on how to use a shim or what other method Debian
should adopt).

I can do a Windows 8.1 install from bootable media followed by a Debian install, both
using UEFI, on a second laptop to demonstrate feasibility if that would help.

It's also worth noting that some systems turn off virtualisation in "BIOS" / system setup
also under security. It takes a while to find that one :)

All the best,

AndyC