Re: old software

On 2015-03-11, James <bjlockie@lockie.ca> wrote:

> On 03/10/2015 08:23 PM, Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> On 2015-03-10, James <bjlockie@lockie.ca> wrote:
>>> I installed Debian7 but it has old software.
>>> I manually installed LibreOffice-4.4 (LibreOffice-3 was the default).
>>>
>>> I also want to upgrade VNC because the default is v2.0.3 and the current
>>> version is 2.2.0.
>>> I followed the instructions on the videolan.org website to add the
>>> backports repository but I get this error:
>>> Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>>> requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>>> distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>>> or been moved out of Incoming.
>>> The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>>>
>>> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>>    vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.1.5-1~bpo70+1) but 2.0.3-5+deb7u2+b1 is to
>>> be installed
>>>          Depends: libvlccore7 (>= 2.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
>>>          Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 2.1.5-1~bpo70+1) but
>>> 2.0.3-5+deb7u2+b1 is to be installed
>>>          Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 2.1.5-1~bpo70+1) but
>>> 2.0.3-5+deb7u2+b1 is to be installed
>>> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>>>

>> It's not clear what instructions you followed nor what commands you
>> executed, but try this:
>>
>> 	apt-get install -t wheezy-backports vlc
>>
>> Please see http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ for the official
>> Debian instructions.
>>
>> FYI, libreoffice 4.3 is also available in wheezy-backports.
>
> These were the instructions:
> www.videolan.org/vlc/download-debian.html
>
> Same command as you posted.
> Same error as before.
>
> I don't have /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
> I have a file /etc/apt/sources.list so I added deb
> http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main there.

In that case, you seem to have encountered a packaging bug. Try
including the various dependencies above in the command, i.e.,

	apt-get install -t wheezy-backports vlc vlc-nox libvlccore7 ...

and so on. That should force APT to select the wheezy-backports
versions. Also worth a try is to use aptitude instead:

	aptitude install -t wheezy-backports vlc

I find it tends to be better at dependency resolution in most cases.

--

Liam