Re: old software

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 07:36:42PM -0400, James wrote:
> I installed Debian7 but it has old software.

It's the price of stability[1]. You might want to consider other
distributions if you really need fresher software. Another option
would be to run a mixed testing/unstable system[2], however if you're
new to Debian, you're better off sticking with stable.

[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/
[2] http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612

> I followed the instructions on the videolan.org website to add the backports
> repository but I get this error:

Also, installing from unofficial repositories is a bad idea.
Especially on a stable system.

I'd purge the packages and go on from there. E.g.

# aptitude purge <package-name>
(or in case it fails)
# dpkg -P <package-name>

--