Re: Debian in small/medium business

I'm unfamiliar with what a "spares" business is, so I will offer these generalized suggestions. First of all I agree totally with the other poster "David Christensen" about things you should consider. The single most important thing with any business system is reliability, of everything!! Hardware must be reliable & secure with; wherever possible, built in redundancy. Just so you are aware, That includes people to repair, service, and update all systems, hardware & software. I do NOT suggest "you" doing this unless you have the time and skills to do this from top to bottom. Since you are new to Linux, it's a given that you need help. I will point out a few other items of concern. A plain jane POS system is concerned with managing the aspects of recording the sale & collecting funds, that's about it. However if you are doing well, and I hope you do, a better solution for a POS will include a complete inventory management system, a good accounting system, as well as a decent communication system, all tied together. An even better one will include a complete payroll system, especially if your employees are involved in sales. The icing on the cake would be tax accountability included for all aspects. These do exist in the world of open software and Linux.
Live Long & Prosper
John