Re: Debian in small/medium business

Op 04-03-15 om 19:51 schreef Victor Charles:
> Good day.
> I'm fairly new to Linux but love it.
> However, I could use some advice regarding the use of Linux in business.
> I'm starting my own spares business soon and will be using a Linux
> compatible Point of Sale system on about 5-6 desktop computers to begin
> with.
> I am impressed with SUSE Linux Enterprise  Point of Sale (SLEPOS) but
> I'm sure Debian 7 or (soon) Debian 8 can perform the same functions, if
> not better.
> Anyone have experience with Debian in business or have any recommendations?

Debian works fine. I have 12 years experience with it as a system
administrator and daily user. Before that I've used Suse 3 years.

Realize that Debian 7 is older software now, it will have some problems
on new hardware. You can fix them in many cases by using backports.

Better use Debian 8, you can download the release candidate here:
https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Configuring it to work together on the same files is not really easy.
Try to find somebody with experience who can help you.

I've used many years the Gnome desktop, but I am not really happy with
it the last time. I would advice you to take a look at the Cinnamon desktop.

I have no experience with POS sofware.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl/