Re: Upgrading, was Re: jessie upgrade sources.list entries?

Quoting Cindy-Sue Causey (butterflybytes@gmail.com):
> [...] I keep .debs archived to save wear and
> tear on both my ISP (Internet provider) and Debian volunteer
> repository servers..

Yes; as you see I use apt-cacher-ng which does a really good job.
At some point I should find out how to copy it to another machine
in case I want to do a fresh install on its host. I think it's as
straightforward as copying /var/{cache,log}/apt-cacher-ng.

> Only issue I ran into was I use UUIDs within /etc/fstab and
> what-have-you. Those are 100% specific and MUST MATCH the new
> partition a backup may be operating from......

Personally I use a script to convert UUIDs to LABELs in grub.cfg.
I looked at the source of grub to see what would be involved in
supporting labels properly but it didn't look trivial enough for
me to hack.
My drives each have a name like ezra, faye, gina written on them
in marker ink, and the partitions are labelled ezra01 through 04
etc. My brain can't handle UUIDs; they're not designed for humans.

> That leads me to ask... I deleted the list and just left that first
> one because it's my absolute most important one these days. Did you
> mention... having a LiveDVD handy? Having one here SAVED MY BACKSIDE
> three or four days ago.

I've always run multiple machines so I'll burn one if I really need
it. Grub and rescue get me by. I'm not sure if my Knoppix is modern
enough to cope.

Cheers,
David.