Re: jessie upgrade sources.list entries?

On Tue 10 Feb 2015 at 14:45:43 +0530, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10 2015,Reco  wrote:
>
> > Since you're going to the trouble of pre-downloading packages
> > for dist-upgrade, you might as well pre-download all of them:
> >
> > apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> I don't understand,  what does the update between the upgrades give me
> in the command sequence above?

You really should read the release notes. :)

   In some cases, doing the full upgrade (as described below)
   directly might remove large numbers of packages that you
   will want to keep. We therefore recommend a two-part upgrade
   process: first a minimal upgrade to overcome these conflicts,
   then a full upgrade as described in Section 4.4.6, “Upgrading
   the system”.

   To do this, first run:

   # apt-get upgrade

   This has the effect of upgrading those packages which can be
   upgraded without requiring any other packages to be removed
   or installed.

> > - From the running X session, unless you're know what you're doing.
>
> Why?  Then how do I upgrade?  I'm usually in the KDE desktop terminal
> when I try all this.  If I'm supposed to do without X, how do I go to
> terminal only login?

Log out of KDE. CTRL+ALT+F1. Then 'service kdm stop'.

Some more reading for opinions on a dist-upgrade within X:

The issue is arguable but for a major step like going from Wheezy to
Jessie you have nothing to lose.

Some people also recommend checking progress and the state of the system
by doing a reboot between an upgrade and a dist-upgrade.