Re: jessie upgrade sources.list entries?

 Hi.

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 01:43:11PM +0530, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> In for a penny, in for a pound.  So I did get the libcurl4* install
> from backports done.  And everything installed swimmingly.  Emacs and
> Rstudio seem to work fine.
>
> Now, to the upgrade....
>
> 1.  Changed all wheezy to jessie in sources.list

> deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ jessie main
> deb-src http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ jessie main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
>
> # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ jessie-updates main
> deb-src http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ jessie-updates main
>
> #jessie backports
> deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian jessie-backports main

You'll want sources from the backports too probably:

deb-src http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian jessie-backports main

> #jessie R packages
> #deb http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/cran/bin/linux/debian jessie-cran3/
>
> 2. followed by
>
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
> # apt-get dist-upgrade

Since you're going to the trouble of pre-downloading packages
for dist-upgrade, you might as well pre-download all of them:

apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

> should get me there to Jessie 8?

More or less. It's also recommended to empty /etc/apt/preferences before
the upgrade, and, of course, you don't upgrade if:

- From the running X session, unless you're know what you're doing.

- Over SSH or VNC, unless you're know what you're doing.

- You don't have a backup of a current system hidden in the safe place:)

Reco