Re: jessie upgrade sources.list entries?

On Tuesday 10 February 2015 09:02:42 Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> > And, if you do do it, do an
> > #apt-get upgrade
> > before the dist-upgrade.
>
> errm....before which dist-upgrade?   And why?

I am referrring to what you said.  I'll quote:
<quote>
2. followed by

# apt-get update
# apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade
</quote>

So do:
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Do it in more than one stage.  It can help prevent any potential muddle.

> > I never quite know why people do the download-only stage, unless there
> > are problems with bandwidth and you want to download overnight?
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand the above.  What is this in reference
> to?  I'm upgrading because it was suggested I move to jessie once I
> get my backports conflicts resolved.

I repeat - for clarity, not because I think that you are deaf ;-):
I am referrring to what you said.  I'll quote:
<quote>
2. followed by

# apt-get update
# apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade
</quote>

I don't get the point of the middle line there.  The line
with "--download-only" in it.  Unless you have a very poor internet
connection and want to download overnight I can't see the point.

Lisi