Re: jessie upgrade sources.list entries?

On Tuesday 10 February 2015 08:13:11 Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> In for a penny, in for a pound.  So I did get the libcurl4* install
> from backports done.  And everything installed swimmingly.  Emacs and
> Rstudio seem to work fine.
>
> Now, to the upgrade....
>
> 1.  Changed all wheezy to jessie in sources.list

> deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ jessie main
> deb-src http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ jessie main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
>
> # jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ jessie-updates main
> deb-src http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ jessie-updates main
>
> #jessie backports
> deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian jessie-backports main
> #jessie R packages
> #deb http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/cran/bin/linux/debian jessie-cran3/
>
> 2. followed by
>
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
>

> should get me there to Jessie 8?

If everything installed swimmingly and is working fine, why?

And, if you do do it, do an
#apt-get upgrade
before the dist-upgrade.

I never quite know why people do the download-only stage, unless there are
problems with bandwidth and you want to download overnight?

Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

Lisi