Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

On Wed, Feb 04 2015,Bob Proulx wrote:

> Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
>> How does one go about fixing broken packages?
>
> Double check every entry being used in /etc/apt/sources.list and any
> additional file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.  You said you were using
> Wheezy.  In that case you should have *only* these entries.
>
>   deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
>   deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
>
>   deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
>   deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
>
>   deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
>   deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
>
> Okay to use local specific mirror sets such as ftp.us.debian.org
> instead of http.debian.net in the above.

This is what I have.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7 _Wheezy_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20141121-01:55]/ wheezy main

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 7 _Wheezy_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20141121-01:55]/ wheezy main

deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ wheezy main
deb-src http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ wheezy main

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

# wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ wheezy-updates main
deb-src http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian/ wheezy-updates main

#wheezy backports
#deb http://kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id/debian wheezy-backports main
#wheezy R packages
deb http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/misc/cran/bin/linux/debian wheezy-cran3/
#deb http://cran.uni-muenster.de/bin/linux/debian wheezy-cran3/

The backports line, I added to get emacs24.4 and then commented it out
again.  The cran3 line is for R packages as suggested in the CRAN
website.   I also downloaded the rstudio deb package from rstudio site
and installed that.

> If you have any extra entries or any extra files of entries please
> remove them.  If you have extra files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* say
> where they came from.  Some 3rd party packages install files then
> people have problems and ask about broken packages.

No other sources file, the above is the only file I tinker with.

> After fixing your sources.list entries run apt-get update.
>
>   # apt-get update
>
> At that point all of the available packages should be known good and
> not have any dependency problems.
>
> Then run the -f,--fix-broken option.
>
>   # apt-get install -f
>
> That has a good chance of fixing everything.  However if you have
> installed newer packages from another archive it won't be able to
> downgrade them.

Tried the above, nothing happens.  No errors or anything.  And the
libcurl4 install still fails

>> I've recently started using debian and apart some fiddling to get
>> the latest emacs24.4 on wheezy I have not done anything on the
>> system.
>
> Alarm bells!  Alarm bells!  Exactly what did you do to install Emacs
> 24 on Wheezy?  Wheezy released with Emacs 23 of course.

After adding the backports to the sources.list, I did a apt-get
install of emacs24.4 and that installed what I wanted.

> Say exactly what you did and people on this list have a good chance to
> tell you how to repair it.

[snipped 26 lines]

 sivaram