Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> How does one go about fixing broken packages?

Double check every entry being used in /etc/apt/sources.list and any
additional file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.  You said you were using
Wheezy.  In that case you should have *only* these entries.

  deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy main contrib non-free

  deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-updates main contrib non-free

  deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
  deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free

Okay to use local specific mirror sets such as ftp.us.debian.org
instead of http.debian.net in the above.

If you have any extra entries or any extra files of entries please
remove them.  If you have extra files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* say
where they came from.  Some 3rd party packages install files then
people have problems and ask about broken packages.

After fixing your sources.list entries run apt-get update.

  # apt-get update

At that point all of the available packages should be known good and
not have any dependency problems.

Then run the -f,--fix-broken option.

  # apt-get install -f

That has a good chance of fixing everything.  However if you have
installed newer packages from another archive it won't be able to
downgrade them.

> I've recently started using debian and apart some fiddling to get
> the latest emacs24.4 on wheezy I have not done anything on the
> system.

Alarm bells!  Alarm bells!  Exactly what did you do to install Emacs
24 on Wheezy?  Wheezy released with Emacs 23 of course.

Say exactly what you did and people on this list have a good chance to
tell you how to repair it.

> When I tried to install libcurl4, I get the following error.
>
> apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Some packages could not be installed.
>
> [snipped 5 lines]

>  libcurl4-openssl-dev : Depends: librtmp-dev but it is not going to be installed

Since librtmp-dev is available in Wheezy I suspect some sources.list
breakage as referenced above.  What is the output of:

  apt-cache policy librtmp-dev

> p.s first time user of debian

Welcome to Debian!  But as with anything if you open the hood of your
car, remove the fuel injection system, partially replace it with
another, then your fuel economy may suffer.  :-)

Bob