Re: Anti-spam recommendations

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 18:00:03 +0000
Mark Carroll <mtbc@ixod.org> wrote:

> I'm moving a Debian mail server installation over to a different
> machine environment and I figure that I may as well take the
> opportunity for a fresh install and rethink. I've been using
> greylistd to good effect, but I'd be surprised if it keeps working so
> well long-term. I have long lists of aliases in Exim and perhaps more
> automated use of throwaway addresses could have value; I haven't
> really thought that through.
>
> What are people expecting will work well in the future for rejecting
> spam at the MTA? E.g., SpamAssassin's performance, use of IP
> blacklists, etc. I can live with some spam, if I am fairly sure I'm
> not wrongly rejecting anything. I'm happy to look at anything
> conveniently packaged for jessie.

I'm having good luck with postfix/postscreen/postgrey, then filtering
what's left (not much) with Spamassassin.

Postscreen blocks only if the ip address hits more than one blacklist,
or if the sending server does things like not wait to be prompted for
data.

What makes it past Postscreen is greylisted (with a whitelist for well
known servers)

About 150 emails per day are stopped before Spamassassin, then I see
maybe one in my Junk folder every other day. Monitoring the log files,
I have noticed no false positives.

-Thom