Re: gedit bug with long lines. (was RE: gedit slow with a 1.5Mb text file)

On Monday 02 February 2015 03:02:38 Curt did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 2015-02-02, Wayne Hartell <w.hartell@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> > In case anyone is interested, I did some further research into this
> > knowing the issue is long lines and it seems that the bug has
> > existed (and been known about) for many years, but still not fixed.
> > The earliest bug record I can find dates back to 2003, so I'm
> > guessing the work around is my best bet for the foreseeable future.
> > :) Either that or address the "problem" on the source side.
>
> The *gedit faq* is edifying on the long lines issue (seems like you
> missed reading it in your "research):
>
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/FAQ
>
>  gedit is very slow and/or crashes when opening files with very long
>  lines. Can you fix it?
>
>  When designing GtkTextView (the text display widget of gtk+ which
> gedit uses) the developers had to make a design decision: trading off
> bad performance and memory use on corner cases like very long lines in
> exchange for better performance in search operations and full support
> for UTF-8 text. This is a known limitation of GtkTextView and cannot
> be fixed. On top of that Pango seems to use a lot of CPU drawing such
> long lines. This may be fixable, but it isn't easy... Feel free to
> give it a try. Crashes with long lines are usually due to
> out-of-memory conditions, but if that's not the case then we would
> like to know about it.

One thing I would like to have seen was a definition of what they called a
long line.

Where I was having trouble, and had to abandon its use, was in an
approximately 400 line file, with line lengths of perhaps 140 chars worth
of 7 bit ASCII text per line maximum.  Is that a long line?

I had it play mix-n-match with the order of the text, or mix old text with
new, growing the file by 2 or 3 hundred lines of gibberish, totally
demolishing a .hal configuration file controlling a CNC lathe or a milling
machine, both with power enough to kill if it miss-behaved.  I have a
philosophy about such things, and I will fix a problem like that for good
when it happens for the 3rd time.

In my case, the fix was geany, which has not added or dropped a character
my ancient (80 yo) arthritic fingers didn't miss-type.  Gedit has more
language highlighting plugins than geany, in particular one for RS-274
GCode, that geany doesn't have, but I lack the skills to write that, nor
is its plugin interface well described in the docs I have found. But it
does Just Work(TM).

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)