Re: gedit bug with long lines. (was RE: gedit slow with a 1.5Mb text file)

On 2015-02-02, Wayne Hartell <w.hartell@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> In case anyone is interested, I did some further research into this knowing
> the issue is long lines and it seems that the bug has existed (and been
> known about) for many years, but still not fixed. The earliest bug record I
> can find dates back to 2003, so I'm guessing the work around is my best bet
> for the foreseeable future. :) Either that or address the "problem" on the
> source side.

The *gedit faq* is edifying on the long lines issue (seems like you
missed reading it in your "research):

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/FAQ

 gedit is very slow and/or crashes when opening files with very long
 lines. Can you fix it?

 When designing GtkTextView (the text display widget of gtk+ which gedit
 uses) the developers had to make a design decision: trading off bad
 performance and memory use on corner cases like very long lines in
 exchange for better performance in search operations and full support
 for UTF-8 text. This is a known limitation of GtkTextView and cannot be
 fixed. On top of that Pango seems to use a lot of CPU drawing such long
 lines. This may be fixable, but it isn't easy... Feel free to give it a
 try. Crashes with long lines are usually due to out-of-memory
 conditions, but if that's not the case then we would like to know about
 it.

--
“There’s no money in poetry, but then there’s no poetry in money,
either.” —Robert Graves