RE: gedit bug with long lines. (was RE: gedit slow with a 1.5Mb text file)

Curt wrote:
> The *gedit faq* is edifying on the long lines issue (seems like you missed
> reading it in your "research):
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/FAQ

I was searching for bug reports; I hadn't expected an FAQ to exist on the very
topic I was interested in. Quite honestly that's a first. FAQs as I tend to
encounter them never have anything useful. I'm actually quite impressed.

Thanks for the link.

> gedit is very slow and/or crashes when opening files with very long  lines.
> Can you fix it?
> When designing GtkTextView (the text display widget of gtk+ which gedit
> uses) the developers had to make a design decision: trading off bad
> performance and memory use on corner cases like very long lines

Long lines are a corner case?

> in exchange for better performance in search operations and full support
> for UTF-8 text. This is a known limitation of GtkTextView and cannot be
> fixed. On top of that Pango seems to use a lot of CPU drawing such long
> lines. This may be fixable, but it isn't easy... Feel free to give it a try.

This is what I had gleaned from the various bug reports; the issues is known
but for some reason it's really hard to fix.

> Crashes with long lines are usually due to out-of-memory conditions, but
> if that's not the case then we would like to know about  it.

So I guess this isn't getting fixed anytime soon.

Cheers.