Re: Network install

On Sun 01 Feb 2015 at 00:40:59 +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:23:25PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > 3. Your attention should focus on the pool directory.
> >
> > 4. 'ls -l /mnt/pool' and 'ls -l /mnt/pool/main' gets you exploring.
> >
> > 5. After checking, install the ppp package with
> >
> >       dpkg -i /mnt/pool/main/p/ppp/ppp_2.4.5-5.1+b1_i386.deb
> >
> > 6. Carefully read the screen and curse me for leaving you to work out
> >    the last bit of the puzzle for yourself.
>
> As has already been mentioned, it looks as though the 'pon' command is
> no longer in the ppp package, or is that now understood and I'm missing
> something?

I think you may be referring to

  [🔎] 87wq44tlzd.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 87wq44tlzd.fsf@thumper.dhh.gt.org

where Rodolfo Medina writes:
  > ....  My problem now is that after netinstall, even installing ppp in
  > expert mode, that command turns to be `not found'

He was advised to try installing in expert mode and, when loading the
installer components, to choose the ppp-modules and ppp-udeb packages.
His expectation was to be able to use pon and poff, as he has been doing
on an already installed system. His expectations were unfounded.

pon and poff are in the ppp package. That package will be installed if
PPPoE is being used as the network connection because pppoeconf depends
on it. He doesn't want PPPoE as a network connection so pon and poff are
not available to him.

Even if they were he would have to have some way of configuring a PPP
connection within d-i to be able to use them.