PDF forms and field issues

I created (LibreOffice) a PDF document with user-entry fields. Sent it to a friend with a Mac to check that it worked. He filled in fields and returned it to me saying it worked fine.

There is a problem in that the fields appear blank (except for the one checkbox). Having now tried a number of PDF 'viewers' on the document, I can report: Evince (Gnome 'Document Viewer') - fields are blank until you click in the field. Click to another field and the first goes blank.
xpdf - fields are blank
GIMP - fields are blank (not surprised)
Inkscape - fields are blank (not surprising)
LibreOffice with pdfimport - fields are blank

imagemagick - shows fields properly!!!

Evince, GIMP, and xpdf when run from command-line all give
   Error: Unknown font in field's DA string

Any ideas on work-around?

Bruce
--
Bruce Ward, Nelson, New Zealand